Dwarf Fortress is a freeware single-player fantasy game. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world.
Although Dwarf Fortress is still in a work in progress, many features have already been implemented.
Here are some key features of "Dwarf Fortress":
· The world is randomly generated with distinct civilizations spanning over 1000 years of detailed history, dozens of towns, hundreds of caves and regions with various wildlife.
· The world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording historical events and tracking changes.
· Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in the mountain. Craft treasures and furniture from many materials and improve these objects with precious metals, jewels and more.
· Defend yourself against attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness and the depths.
· Support the nobility as they make demands of your populace.
· Keep your dwarves happy and read their thoughts as they work and relax.
· Z coordinate allows you to dig out fortresses with multiple levels. Build towers or conquer the depths.
· Build floodgates to divert water for farming or to drown your adversaries.
· Much much more...
· Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance. Meet adversaries from previous games.
· Recruit people in towns to come with you on your journey.
· Explore without cumbersome plot restrictions.
· Seamlessly wander the world -- up to 197376 x 197376 squares total -- or travel more rapidly on the region map.
· Accept quests from the town and civilization leaders.
· Retire and meet your old characters. Bring them along on an adventure with a new character or reactivate them and play directly.
· Z coordinate allows you to move seamlessly between dungeon levels and scale structures fighting adversaries above and below.
· The combat model uses skills, body parts, wrestling, charging and dodging between squares, bleeding, pain, nausea, and much more.
· A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity and air masses to create fronts, clouds, rain storms and blizzards.
· Over two hundred rock and mineral types are incorporated into the world, placed in their proper geological environments.
· Add new creatures, weapons, plants, metals and other objects via modifiable text files.
· Extended ASCII character set rendered in 16 colors (including black) as well as 8 background colors (including black).
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· stopped bamboo flicker
· stopped dwarves from ripping patients out of traction to bring them to bed
· made it display traction state in health screen
· decreased triggers for cleaning a bit to try to stop paranoid over-cleaning of patients
· fixed key conflict for clay crafts/statue
· corrected NECK_SPINE bodypart token
· made rodent man bite use teeth properly
· dragon/hydra natural stance skill removed, given claw attack
· corrected baby guineafowl to "keets"