glHack is a port of the game NetHack, using hardware acceleration via OpenGL to render the 2D tile graphics.
glHack is just one of the many NetHack front-ends. Others include the original text-terminal (TTY) version, one for the X Window System, and one for GNOME called GnomeHack.
What's New in This Release:
· James Bentler has ported the code to NetHack 3.4.3, and the guidebook too.
· The other change is that the TAB key now toggles between tile and text views (in addition to the END key).
· glHack has only been tested here under Linux (Debian and Mandrake). Other Linux distributions should work OK "out of the box". For other UNIX operating systems, you will probably have to edit the makefiles and config files. There is NO support for Windows or Mac, etc....
· glHack requires OpenGLŪ, preferably with a hardware accelerated 3D card. The Mesa library will work fine. Only Voodoo 3 and NVidia TNT64 cards have been tested so far. Note that it is possible to compile with only software rendering support, so OpenGL is not a strict requirement anymore.
· Also required is LibSDL (Simple Directmedia Library) version 1.2 or higher, and LibPNG is needed for loading the graphic files.