Xye is a new, free version of the classic game Kye which also extends the game adding more objects and gameplay options.
Xye is now possible to edit and make levels by knowing either the Xye level format or the kye level format.
The project is currently on beta state.
Reproduce Kye's gameplay
Although some gameplay factors won't be reproduced / will be modiffied the main idea is to do not lose the feeling of the game.
Xye can open and play .kye level files.
Kye2Xye exists so you can convert a .kye level file into .xye and be able to use the new features
Things that will change / have already changed:
- I decided to disallow diagonal movement. The only level I know that gets screwed by this decition is ADOORABLE one of the official Kye levels.
- The mouse control is way different and doesn't stop the time, unlike Kye.
Pressing keys does not boost the game clock speed, this is just a decorative change that does not affect gameplay too much. Ctrol can be used as a fast forward button for those moments when you need the game to speed up.
- Whenever Kye got into a blackhole, the blackhole didn't show up its animation/enter in busy state. This has changed in Kye
- In fact, the behaviour of black holes in Kye was kind of random / unpredictable, in Xye, though if something enters a black hole, the black hole will always show its animation and enter to busy mode.
- In Xye, pushing a round block towards another rounded object / wall will cause a behaviour similar to the one of rockies too. This is a major change that makes some of the kye levels easier. The reasons behind this change are: logic and practicity. It is really usefult for block based puzzles, Xye made block-based puzzles valid thanks to some of its additions. There is a limitation to the rule and it is that rockies (round arrow blocks) will not allow it to happen if they are pushed towards a direction that is not their active.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
Major gameplay changes:
· A new block has been added, purple.
· Purple arrows and dot blocks are as fast as red arrows.
· Purple pushers are twice as fast as yellow pushers and bounce differently.
· Purple timers are like a mix between the green and red ones, explode a time after Xye activates them.
· Purple surprise blocks teleport Xye to their location if pushed.
· Purple gems do not exist, instead purple gem blocks are activated once you get all the stars in the level.
· The listbox control has been made closer to the familiar idea in usual GUI environments. For example, it supports the mouse wheel and can have a scroll bar if necessary.
· Xye's default color has been changed to a less saturated green tone.
· Added two new tutorials.
· Updated the order of some of the levels.
· New levels: Complexity, puzzle, Chekhov's brick, Robot bot trouble and Swing bridge.
Updates to other level files:
· Phipps.xye: Changed the color scheme for the levels from problem.kye.
New editor features:
· Slightly more compatibility with level features.
· Fixed the bug that made .Kye levels in the editor load with black walls, background and earth.
· Fixed bugs related to not being able to play the level's solution / a replay file in the first attempt when there is a saved game for that level.
· Other minor features and bug fixes.