Its main purpose, besides being fun to play, is to demo the specific versions of the server, archetypes and maps used by crossfire+. All files can be freely downloaded via CVS on the the crossfire+ project page.
It is especially suited for beginners who do not want to experience a very sharp and frustrating learning curve and party players who want to play together more easily.
Here are some key features of "Crossfire plus":
· Death is not permanent.
· Death causes no stats depletion and little experience points loss.
· Friendly fire causes no damage.
· Pet monsters and summoned creatures will not stand in the way of other party members, making it bearable to play with summoning skills in a party.
· The item power setting is "2".
· The crossfire maps can be viewed interactively at cfmaps.schmorp.de.
· We import your character file from other crossfire servers, up to some level, so you can use your character you played with at home, for example. Send your character files to email@example.com. Please don't send artifically improved characters.
· Player-killing is, as usual, not tolerated.
· If you want to try out a map on a public server, feel free to send it in.
· Map and graphics artists are working on improved graphics and new maps and quests.
· Due to the filthy ;) code quality, the server restarts automatically after a crash (within one minute).
· Emergency saves are disabled.
· You can reach the admins via IRC: server irc.schmorp.de (alternatively irc.plan9.de), channel #schmorp, user(s) schmorp or elmex.
· You can reach the admins via E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
· We are sometimes running the release, sometimes a CVS (not latest CVS) snapshot with some patches applied. If you encounter problems fixed in a newer snapshot feel free to report it.
· Player files and other variable data is backed up nightly to two different locations.
How to Connect
To connect to the server using e.g. cfclient or gcfclient, use this command:
cfclient -server crossfire.schmorp.de
cfclient -server crossfire.schmorp.de -mapsize 19x19 -font 9x15bold -cache
or you could use gcfclient or any other crossfire client.
If you use Debian GNU/Linux, you can find the clients in the crossfire-server-x11 and crossfire-server-gtk packages.
What's New in This Release:
· Large parts of the server have been rewritten.
· Map loading and saving and most I/O is done asynchronously, eliminating I/O-based lag.
· The server now regularly writes maps and players, so data loss on crash is minimized.
· Over 40 Perl extensions are available, such as a IRC gateway, transports, playershop, and minesweeper.
· The map system is now completely pluggable (for example, the world map is generated on the fly from an overlay).
· The file formats have been cleaned up and improved and use a faster parser now.
· A persistent database is available for data storage.