Vavoom project is a source port based on sources of Doom, Heretic, Hexen and a little bit from Quake. Supported platforms are DOS, Windows and Linux.
Here are some key features of "Vavoom":
· Polygonal engine with colored lighting, with software mode, OpenGL and Direct3D support, and any resolutions up to 1600x1200
· Translucency. Some things are translucent, also spectres' partial invisibility is replaced with 10% translucency, so they are really hard to see now
· Complete support for freelook (look up & down) in all games
· A powerful language to describe game logic, Vavoom C - now you can forget about DeHackEd and DDF!
· 100% client/server architecture with in-game joining
· Quake-style console, with key bindings
· Ability to play AudioCD tracks
· Indirect support for DeHackEd - utility to generate Vavoom progs out of DEH files
· And many other cool things...
To play Vavoom you need main wad file from one of the following games:
· Doom shareware
· Doom registered
· Ultimate Doom
· Doom II: Hell on Earth
· Doom II: TNT Evilution
· Doom II: The Plutonia experiment
· Heretic shareware
· Heretic registered
· If you have multiple IWADs, you can use command line params -doom, -doom2, -heretic or -hexen.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The biggest change is the removal of software renderer.
· Other than that it's mostly bug fixes and some improvements here and there.