Quake2Word is a free multiplayer FPS based on Quake II.
Quake2World is an unsupported, unofficial, multiplayer-only iteration of id Software's Quake II. It aims to blend the very best aspects of the entire Quake series to deliver an enjoyable FPS experience in a free to download, stand-alone game.
- Dramatic performance enhancements over Quake II, making Quake2World very playable on older hardware.
- Improved network protocol reduces bandwidth consumption for Internet play.
- New physics parameters increase player movement abilities and inspire new combat scenarios.
- Balanced weapon ballistics level the playing field and reduce the slippery-slope effect of 1v1 deathmatch.
- Deathmatch, Capture, Instagib, and Rocket Arena gameplay modes right out of the box.
- Teams Play and Match Mode support, with Warmup and Ready functionality.
- Levels by world-class artists like Jester, Cardo, and Jal with drop-in support for legacy Quake II levels.
- Numerous graphical enhancements providing coronas, flares, animated surfaces, environment mapping, etc.
- Weather effects like rain and snow bring added atmosphere to levels both new and old.
- HTTP downloading for game content via libcurl lets levels auto-download in seconds.
- MySQL logging of frags and chat messages opens the door for realtime statistics generation via CGI programming.
- Uniform platform support and simplified program design via SDL.