Quake2Word is a free multiplayer FPS based on Quake II.
Quake2World is an unsupported, unofficial, multiplayer-only iteration of id Software's Quake II. It aims to blend the very best aspects of the entire Quake series to deliver an enjoyable FPS experience in a free to download, stand-alone game.
Here are some key features of "Quake2World":
· Dramatic performance enhancements over Quake II, making Quake2World very playable on older hardware.
· Improved network protocol reduces bandwidth consumption for Internet play.
· New physics parameters increase player movement abilities and inspire new combat scenarios.
· Balanced weapon ballistics level the playing field and reduce the slippery-slope effect of 1v1 deathmatch.
· Deathmatch, Capture, Instagib, and Rocket Arena gameplay modes right out of the box.
· Teams Play and Match Mode support, with Warmup and Ready functionality.
· Levels by world-class artists like Jester, Cardo, and Jal with drop-in support for legacy Quake II levels.
· Numerous graphical enhancements providing coronas, flares, animated surfaces, environment mapping, etc.
· Weather effects like rain and snow bring added atmosphere to levels both new and old.
· HTTP downloading for game content via libcurl lets levels auto-download in seconds.
· MySQL logging of frags and chat messages opens the door for realtime statistics generation via CGI programming.
· Uniform platform support and simplified program design via SDL.