Quake 4 for GNU/Linux 1.42
Quake 4 for GNU/Linux is a standard, straightforward shooter.
A licensed copy of Quake 4 retail for Windows is required. You will copy the assets files from it and use the CD key (a CD key is not required to run a dedicated server).
· GNU/Linux system
· Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or Athlon XP 2000+ processor
· 512MB RAM
· Kernel 2.4, 2.6 is recommended
· glibc >= 2.2.4
3D acceleration ( not required for dedicated server ):
· SDL >= 1.2
· latest OpenGL drivers, correctly configured
· ATI Radeon(r) 9700
· ATI Radeon 9800
· ATI Radeon X300 series
· ATI Radeon X550 series
· ATI Radeon X600 series
· ATI Radeon X700 series
· ATI Radeon X800 series
· ATI Radeon X850 series
· Nvidia GeForce 3/Ti series
· Nvidia GeForce 4/Ti series
· Nvidia GeForce FX series
· Nvidia GeForce 6 series
· Nvidia GeForce 7 series
Audio ( not required for dedicated server ):
· sound card with OSS or Alsa support, stereo and surround sound are supported wth both APIss
· Alsa >= 1.0.6 is required for alsa sound backend
· Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
· Internet play requires broadband connection
A licensed copy of Quake 4 retail for Windows is required.
You will copy the assets files from it and use the CD key.
PLEASE NOTE: The Linux version of Quake 4 is NOT supported by
Activision Customer Support.
The following files must be copied from the install CDs to your q4base/ directory ( md5 sums provided as reference ):
If you copy them before running the installer you will need to create the paths, by default /usr/local/games/quake4/q4base. If you copy after running the installer, make sure not to replace any paks the installer might have provided.
Note: the Linux installer will reinstall the game*.pk4.
Note: the German version of the game uses a completely different set of assets. See the FAQ entry below for details.
Start the game with the command: quake4
Start the dedicated server with the command: quake4-dedicated
Note: that if you have the DVD release, all the files are in the same directory. Otherwise they are spread out on each CDs. For the DVD edition, the files are in Setup/Data/q4base
· internal server browser in 220.127.116.11 / build 2147 will only show 1000 servers max. Third party browsers like xqf can retrieve and filter the complete list.