Jake2 is a Java 3D game engine.
Jake2 uses jogl for OpenGL graphics and joal for 3D sound. Since version 0.9.4 an a lwjgl driver is included as alternative for the jogl/joal combination. Currently supported operating systems are Linux and Windows2000/XP but it should work on Mac OS X as well.
Here are some key features of "Jake2":
· pure Java port of the Quake2 game engine
· full playable singleplayer mode
· full featured multiplayer client
· multiplayer server
· demo playback and recording
· save/load games
· fullscreen support
· two different OpenGL bindings (jogl and lwjgl)
· OpenAL sound engine for true 3D sound
· JRE at least version 1.4
· run the installer with "java -jar Jake2-0.9.4-install.jar"
· follow the instructions
· change to the installation directory
· run the game with Jake2.sh or Jake2.bat
· to run Jake2 with the lwjgl OpenGL/OpenAL driver use Jake2_lwjgl.sh or Jake2_lwjgl.bat
What's New in This Release:
· quake video (cinematics) support including sound streaming
· save games are from now on build compatible
· support for arbitrary sound sample rates
· dedicated server mode
· lots of bugfixes