Jake2 is a Java 3D game engine. Jake2 is a port of the GPL'd Quake2 game engine from id Software. To use the Jake2 engine you need either the data files from the original game or from the demo version that is available for download from ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com.
Jake2 uses jogl for OpenGL graphics and joal for 3D sound. Since version 0.9.4 an a lwjgl driver is included as alternative for the jogl/joal combination. Currently supported operating systems are Linux and Windows2000/XP but it should work on Mac OS X as well.
Here are some key features of "Jake2":
· pure Java port of the Quake2 game engine
· full playable singleplayer mode
· full featured multiplayer client
· multiplayer server
· demo playback and recording
· save/load games
· fullscreen support
· two different OpenGL bindings (jogl and lwjgl)
· OpenAL sound engine for true 3D sound
· JRE at least version 1.4
· run the installer with "java -jar Jake2-0.9.4-install.jar"
· follow the instructions
· change to the installation directory
· run the game with Jake2.sh or Jake2.bat
· to run Jake2 with the lwjgl OpenGL/OpenAL driver use Jake2_lwjgl.sh or Jake2_lwjgl.bat
What's New in This Release:
· quake video (cinematics) support including sound streaming
· save games are from now on build compatible
· support for arbitrary sound sample rates
· dedicated server mode
· lots of bugfixes