Dark Places is a Quake engine port/mod with several enhancements. It is a port/mod of the Quake engine using the source code released by id Software.
There have been several improvements made to the game engine such as:
- Real-time lighting/shadowing
- Bump mapping
- Discarded shell casings
- Blood sticks to walls and floor
- 32 bit colour alpha blended explosions
Dark Places is a Quake modification I have built over the course of 6 years on and off experimenting, it got somewhat of an overhaul when the Quake engine source code was released, and I began developing a custom OpenGL-only engine for it and other mods, which supports Windows WGL and Linux GLX, and has greatly improved graphics and image quality.
It can not easily be described, as it is simply an improved Quake, not a total conversion (yet, anyway).
The realism of shell casings falling to the floor, much improved bullet impacts, 32bit color alpha blended explosions, blood flying everywhere and sticking to the walls...
Behind the scenes the code has changed a great deal, I was not content with the original QuakeC code, and I have greatly changed the engine while maintaining compatibility with normal quake modifications.
· A copy of retail or shareware Quake or Open Quartz
· OpenGL support for the graphics acceleration
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed a bug where dedicated servers would incorrectly load Quake1 BSP Files and treat water as solid.