phoNIX is a software that helps young children learn to read English by using the 'Phonics' system, commonly taught in English Primary schools.
Phonics is a widely used method of teaching children to read and decode words, teaching children to connect sounds with letters or groups of letters (e.g., the sound /k/ can be represented by c, k, or ck spellings) and teaching them to blend the sounds of letters together to produce approximate pronunciations of unknown words.
As well as being able to hear and practice the individual Phonemes, the software includes a number of mini games to help reinforce the students learning.
To run the Beta version, please follow the following instructions:
* Ensure GStreamer is installed on your system.
* If you have downloaded a previous version of phoNIX, delete the entire phonix folder.
* Extract the archive to your home folder.
* Open a Terminal.
* Enter "cd Phonix/src" at the command prompt (without the double quotes)
* Enter "python phonix.py" at the command prompt (without the double quotes)