Topographica is a software package for computational modeling of neural maps. The goal is to help researchers understand brain function at the level of the topographic maps that make up sensory and motor systems.
Topographica's full documentation can be found at http://topographica.org/.
Topographica requires NumPy and PIL. We strongly recommend that you also install MatPlotLib so you can access all Topographica's plots, as well as Gmpy and Weave (available as part of SciPy) for optimum performance.
Once you have the prerequisites, you should be able to install Topographica system-wide with a command like sudo python setup.py install, or into your user directory with python setup.py install --user.
Note that this package is not yet fully tested; please see http://topographica.org/Downloads for official releases.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· now supports Python 2.6
· significantly reduced memory consumption (35% less for lissom.ty)
· minor bugfixes
· now available as .deb package for Debian and Ubuntu, in addition to .zip and .tar.gz versions, and via 'easy_install topographica'
· optional PyFlakes package for detecting common Python problems
· optional mpi4py package using OpenMPI for writing parallel applications
· instructions available for checking out Git version of repository
Command-line and batch:
· -G: dock windows by default
· run_batch: name_time_format and dirname_prefix parameters
· n_bytes, n_conns, print_sizes: display size and memory usage of current network
· moved progress bars, messages, warnings, and errors into the status bar for each window, to make it clear where the error or status issue arose