SpellingPractice is an application that automates self-paced spelling tests and practice with audible pre-recorded cues.
Here are some key features of "SpellingPractice":
· Audio cues, not flashcards - SpellingPractice plays a recorded audio cue using the spelling word in a sentence.
· Build per-student spelling lists - Using over 300 high-frequency words, SpellingPractice tests students and keeps a record of words spelled correctly and incorrectly.
· Drill - SpellingPractice uses an intelligent algorithm to choose spelling words for effective practice.
· Track an entire classroom - Identify trends and compare progress with reports.
· Java 2 platform version 1.3.1 or higher
1. Create the directory "/usr/local/SpellingPractice"
2. Copy the following files to "/usr/local/SpellingPractice":
3. Run the following commands to make the shell scripts executable
% chmod +x /usr/local/SpellingPractice/spteacher.sh
% chmod +x /usr/local/SpellingPractice/spstudent.sh
Edit spteacher.sh and spstudent.sh and uncomment (i.e., remove the "#") from the shell script line for your Java Runtime Environment. If you are using IBM's JRE, then the line JRE_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-131/jre should be uncommented.
If you are using Sun's JRE, then the line JRE_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1/jre should be uncommented.
Edit spteacher.rc and spstudent.rc if you would like to customize any parameters. The standard settings should suffice for most installations.
4. Run the shell scripts from the command line to run the programs.
What's New in This Release:
· Teacher: [Student] Add clear statistics.
· Student: Tweak Login UI.
· Teacher: [Student] Combine open list into dialog box.
· Teacher: [Student] Add statistics to dialog box.
· Teacher: [Student] Add "all students" report.
· Teacher: [Word] Combine open list into dialog box.
· Teacher: [Word] Add "all words" report.
· Teacher: [Student, Word] Add option to display testing or directed statistics.