Guten is a tool for browsing, retrieving, reading, and managing electronic books published by Project Gutenberg.
Books can be imported from files that have already been downloaded, or through a simple interface that browses and downloads files from a PG mirror.
A Python module that automates the retrieval of catalogues and books from a PG mirror is also provided.
· Python. Version 2.3 or higher. Earlier versions won't work.
· GTK+ and PyGTK. Debian users should install the python-gtk2 package. A Win32 port of PyGTK is available, with directions and links for installing GTK+ and PyGTK under Windows.
· LibGlade. Debian users should install the python-glade2 package. Windows users can skip this requirement; libGlade support is already included in the Win32 PyGTK installer.
· SQLObject. Guten uses the UnicodeCol column type that was only introduced in the most recent version, 0.6.1. Debian and Ubuntu users, see this bug for details on why these distributions still only ship with 0.6, as well as links to updated packages that should work. If I sound bitter about Debian not using the version that was released seven months ago, it's because I am.
· PySQLite. Guten is developed using version 1.1. Version 2 is untested. Note that at the moment pysqlite is still required for the bookmarks database regardless of the sqlobject backend in use. This will soon change. Debian users should install python-sqlite.