Dictator project is a Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP) on-screen text reader.
Dictator permits faster, easier on-screen reading of text using the method of Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP). Features include dynamic text flow, Unicode support, a bookmark manager, customizable Web references, customizable text import filters, fullscreen mode, and more.
The problem with these texts is that reading them on-screen the conventional way is a drag and printing them out is time-consuming, costly, and wasteful. Dictator provides an alternative approach called Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP) in which words are displayed consecutively in the same place at a user-controllable rate.
This method prevents unconscious re-reading of adjacent text and decreases the tendency of the reader to oralise the text, allowing for increased reading speeds. RSVP also permits the use of larger fonts for text display which improves text clarity. While it does take some getting used to, with a little practise you may find that reading with Dictator becomes faster and easier than reading from a book.
Here are some key features of "Dictator":
· Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP) text file reading.
· Single word and multiword displays.
· Unicode support (with Unicode versions of wxPython only).
· Variable reading rate.
· Easy keyboard controls.
· Bookmark manager with automatic recall of last position in text.
· Dynamic text flow (rate related to word length, punctuation).
· Paragraph cues.
· Adjustable fonts and colours.
· Fullscreen mode.
· Text search.
· Customisable text filters allow scraping from PDF/html/Microsoft Word Documents.
· Customisable web queries on current word (e.g. look up definition).
· Open from clipboard.
· Open URL (via text filter only).
· Python (version >= 2.2)
· GTK+ (version >= 2.4)
· wxPython (tested with 2.4-2.6 branches)
What's New in This Release:
· Improved tutorial Option to disable highlighting in text window Minor fixes