Booktype is a free and open source software that produces beautiful, engaging books formatted for print, Amazon, iBooks and almost any ereader within minutes.
Create books on your own or with others via an easy-to-use web interface. Build a community around your content with social tools and use the reach of mobile, tablet and ebook technology to engage new audiences.
Here are some key features of "Booktype":
Free & Open Source:
· Write, collaborate, publish.
· clean, easy-to-use, drag-and-drop interface
· simultaneous editing, live chat and messaging tools
· powerful, quick output to pdf, epub, mobi, odt and html
· export to Amazon, iBooks, Lulu.com and other print-on-demand or ebook stores
· collaborative tools to engage proofreaders, editors and contributors
· merged print and digital workflow to keep books up-to-date across all platforms
· individual book history, versions, clones, editing permissions and license management
· easy import of content, chapters and entire books from other sources for remix and reuse
Easy To Use:
· Bring out the book in you
· Booktype helps you create books by yourself or with others via the web. Open your browser, start writing, add pictures, drag and drop chapters and invite others to help you out. Booktype takes care of the table of contents, chapters, page numbers and all book formatting.
Publish Print and Digital:
· From zero to book in minutes.
· Merge digital and print workflows to produce perfectly formatted books ready for iPad, Kindle, Nook (and most ereaders) or regular print services (including print-on-demand), all within minutes of finishing or updating your book.
· Everyone is a publisher.
· Turn any number of people, anywhere into editors, authors and proofreaders via the web. Simultaneous editing, live chat and internal messaging allows notes, citations, urls, text and pictures to be easily exchanged, dramatically speeding up the production process.
· A new publishing model.
· Booktype gets your content into online stores and bookshops as quickly as you can write it. Publish almost instantly to Amazon, iBooks, Lulu.com and hundreds of other places. Charge for the book itself, or give it away free. Use the reach of mobile, tablet and ebook technology to engage new audiences, wherever they are, in new and exciting ways.
Build A Community:
· Start a conversation.
· Start a conversation around your content. Booktype is an out-of-the-box community platform. Users can create profiles, join groups, watch books, chat live, post status messages and keep track of activity on the web. Create a vibrant, sustainable ecology around your books.
· Great design across platforms.
· Booktype effortlessly renders beautiful fonts, illustrations and tables to pdf, epub, mobi, odt, html and more for digital distribution or print services. Advanced options allow you to choose from preset book formats, set ISBN numbers or even apply web-friendly CSS templates for personalised layouts and styles.
Versions and History:
· No more typos?
· Booktype helps you keep track of who’s doing what to the book and when with intelligent chapter statuses, user roles and histories that keep everything orderly. Found a typo? Compare old and new versions side-by-side, roll back the changes and hit publish to update even print-on-demand services. Costly reprints after mistakes need never happen again.
Reuse and Remix:
· Become Penguin Classics overnight!
· Easily share, reuse and remix content, chapters or even entire books with Booktype’s import tools. Importing content from your library, other epubs, Gutenberg (all those old out-of-copyright classics!), archive.org or other Booktype communities takes seconds. Rework, mash-up, illustrate, translate, curate and publish! Become Penguin Classics overnight!
· Translate content quickly and efficiently.
· Clone existing books and translate either by yourself or with a community. Booktype supports all character sets and bi-directional text. It’s available in English, French, Spanish, Russian, Croatian and Finnish. Additionally Booktype has an easy to use localization framework so you can easily translate the interface into your language.
Textbooks and Manuals:
· Perfect educational material
· Booktype is ideal for educational and technical content. Booktype lets you version (great for keeping manuals or textbooks up to date, whilst archiving old versions) or clone books (ideal for building new works from old content). Customise textbooks for your students, or use the platform to create learning experiences around books.