GTK-Doc is used to document C code. It is typically used to document the public API of libraries, such as the GTK+ and GNOME libraries, but it can also be used to document application code.
Note that GTK-Doc wasn't originally intended to be a general-purpose documentation tool, so it can be a bit awkward to setup and use. For a more polished general-purpose documentation tool you may want to look at Doxygen (http://www.doxygen.org/). However GTK-Doc has some special code to document the signals and properties of GTK+ widgets and GObject classes which other tools may not have.
GTK-Doc allows your documentation to be written in 2 ways:
a) Embedded inside the source code in specially-formatted comments.
b) Added to the 'template' files which gtk-doc outputs after scanning all the header files and parsing the declarations.
From these source code comments and template files GTK-Doc generates a Docbook XML (or SGML) document, which is then transformed into HTML. The generated HTML documentation can be browsed in an ordinary web browser or by using the special Devhelp API browser (see http://developer.imendio.com/wiki/Devhelp).
· Perl v5
· libxslt & libxml2 2.3.6
· DocBook XSL Stylesheets
· DocBook XML DTD
· DocBook SGML DTD
· Jade v1.1 or OpenJade 1.3.1
· DocBook DSSSL Stylesheets
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· gtk-doc supports a subset of markdown (headings and lists) - see
· gtk-doc does not generate old devhelp files any more. This cuts down doc
· generation time and works for devhelp >=0.11 (was released in 2005).
· changes for out-of-source dir build caused breakage for projects using
· DOC_SOURCE_DIR with a relative path (to builddir). It is recommended to use
· 590927 : Support AM_SILENT_RULES for doc-build steps
· 617121 : /* < private > */ declarations in enums are still displayed
· 627758 : A way to ignore a symbol
· 639145 : shorthand syntax for headings
· 644291 : Enum parser breaks on assignment of ')'
· 646870 : HTML_IMAGES no longer in EXTRA_DIST
· 648289 : gtkdoc-mkdb doesn't compile.
· 648331 : Specify compatible options for 'highlight' consistently.
· 649269 : gtkdoc-scanobj should set some of its own CFLAGS/LDFLAGS
· 650407 : Buildings docs while distchecking produces thousands of â€œNo declaration foundâ€ warnings, then fails.
· 652746 : Documentation of plain boxed structs broken
· 652764 : Update autotools config a bit
· 655711 : summarize depscan output by package
· 656453 : Performance improvements (PATCH)
· 656658 : gtk-doc.make: install target doesn't install docs when building in a separate directory
· 656773 : gtk-doc fails to find a symbol declared as 'char* const'
· 656946 : gtk-doc unable to handle 'extern short int'
· 657377 : srcdir!=builddir builds discard contents of tmpl
· Bakaoukas Nikolaos
· Claude Paroz
· Daniel Mustieles
· David Necas
· David NeÄas
· Javier JardÃ³n
· Jorge GonzÃ¡lez
· Mario BlÃ¤ttermann
· Matthias Clasen
· MichaÅ‚ GÃ³rny
· Shaun McCance
· Stefan Sauer (Kost)
· Will Thompson
· Yaakov Selkowitz