MultiSessionX is a fast user switching implementation for X11 utilizing VNC for persistent sessions.
Here are some key features of "MultiSessionX":
· Support for xdialog and xmessage (xmessage provided for legacy support -- use xdialog instead). Support planned for zenity.
· Maintain multiple user logins from a single terminal without logging users out.
· Reconnect to sessions from another terminal.
· Multiple sessions per-user.
· Mulitple connections to a single session. (vnc -shared)
· Allows creation of non-persistent sessions -- starts window manager normally to support features not available through VNC (high-speed video, opengl)
Note: use with xdialog and an X11 login manager can be very similar to the behavior AND visual appearance of Windows 2003 with Terminal Services. I should note that this project was started early 2002, well before Windows 2003 was released! Just in case you were wondering ;-)
Licensed under the general BSD license (no advertising clause).
· VNC has a lot of bugs and limitations. For instance, it does not support OpenGL or XV visuals. "Non-persistent" sessions provided as work-around. Also, VNC "messes up", causing visual artifacts.
· Does not work with Zenity at all, not even it's gdialog emulation