LXDE is a lightweight X11 desktop environment. This project aimed to provide a new desktop environment which is useful enough and keep resource usage lower at the same time. Useabiliy, speed, and memory usage are our main concern.
Here are some key features of "LXDE":
· Lightweight, runs with reasonable memory usage
· Fast, rund well even on older machines produced in 1999
· Good-looking, gtk+ 2 internationalized user interface
· Easy-to-use, the user interface is simple, but usable enough
· Desktop independent (suprise! Every component can be used without LXDE)
· Standard compliant, follows the specs on freedesktop.org
· Suitable for old machines
· PCManFM: File manager, provides desktop icon
· LXPanel: Desktop panel
· LXSession: X11 session manager
· IceWM: Window manager (This is not developed by us, but we use it as our default window manager), can be replaced by any other window manager like fluxbox, openbox, metacity, ...etc.
· LXMusic: Default music player, a very simple XMMS2 client
· The hardware requirements of LXDE is similiar to Windows 98 (Maybe a little bit higher). So an old Pentium II CPU is enough.
· After X11 and LXDE are started, the total memory usage is about 45 MB on i386 machines. (This value may be higher or lower according to different system configurations.)
· Though LXDE itself doesn't require better hardware, other applications under X do need it. For example, Firefox and OpenOffice.org 2 are quite memory-hungry. So it's recommended that you have RAM more than 128 MB.
What's New in This Release:
· Upgrade lxpanel to 0.3.5.
· Provide default config files for lxsession-lite.
· Add a small xsettings daemon so gtkrc files are no longer needed.
· Some little fixes.