Window Applets package for the GNOME desktop environment.
GNOME Panel applets substitute the maximized window title and buttons. I've decided to make it because GNOME violates Fitts's Law by putting a panel between the maxed window buttons and the corner of the screen.
The Window Applets package was designed to solve the problem. Window Title and Window Buttons are essentially controls for windows that are placed on the Panel instead of a window. They also provide a clever way to increase vertical screen space. By default they only control maximized windows, but can be configured to control any focused window.
If you find a bug, please report it in the comments section. Also if you voted "bad", please explain why so I may improve the applets.
Ubuntu: https://launchpad.net/~tsbarnes/+archive/misc/ Thanks Scott!
Mandriva: ftp://ftp.linux.org.tr/pub/mandriva-tr/2010.1/ Thanks Atilla!
Ubuntu/Debian: build-essential, intltool, libwnck-dev, libpanel-applet2-dev, *autoconf-archive
Installation from source:
3) ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-gconf-schema-file-dir=/usr/share/gconf/schemas
5) sudo make install
6) cd buttons && sudo gconf-schemas --register windowbuttons.schemas && cd ../title && sudo gconf-schemas --register windowtitle.schemas && cd ..
7) Add desired applets to panel.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed makefile docs path to point to /usr/share
· Disabled applet hiding by default (it was causing confusion with new users)
· Minor code cleanups
· WBA: Added option to override button orientation (automatic/default, horizontal and vertical)
· WBA: Added option to reverse button order
· WBA: Updated themes: Ambiance-Maverick, Radiance-Maverick (thank you Cierreics)
· WTA: Saturate title icon and darken text on inactive
· WTA: Select a more apropriate non-custom title text color
· WTA: Added options to set both active and inactive font/color
· WTA: Added experimental option to show window action menu on title right click. Warning: Overrides applet menu over title.