SLiM is a Desktop-independent graphical login manager for X11, derived from Login.app.
It aims to be light and simple, although completely configurable through themes and an option file; is suitable for machines on which remote login functionalities are not needed.
Unpack the archive, run
make install (as root)
By default the configuration file is /usr/etc/slim.conf; the options are self-explanatory.
Themes are located at /usr/share/slim/themes; to create or modify a theme be sure to have a look at the simple theme-howto included in the 'THEMES' file and also available online
Here are some key features of "SLiM":
· PNG and XFT support for aplha transparency and antialiased fonts
· External themes support
· Configurable runtime options: X server, login / shutdown / reboot commands
· Single (GDM-like) or double (XDM-like) input control
· Can load predefined user at startup
· Configurable welcome / shutdown messages
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The session text aspect can now be customized; an automatic login option has been added.
· Minor bugfixes were applied.