Kysrun is a desktop tool that starts applications, bookmarks and opens documents by typing few key strokes.
Kysrun was inspired by application launchers like Katapult, Launchy or Mercury.
Press the ALT key together with the SPACE bar to pop up Kysrun.
The first time you start up Kysrun, it will automatically index all the installed desktop applications, the documents and movies in your home directory and your bookmarks in Firefox.
As soon as you start typing, Kysrun will display the action it has found. When the proposed action matches what you need, press enter and Kysrun will start the application.
For example, suppose you want to start the text editor. Thus you start typing "text editor". Here on my machine, after typing "tex", Kysrun already has found the "Text Editor". Press enter and the Text Editor gets started.
In the same way, you can open bookmarked pages in Firefox or open documents.
To search something with Google, type "google" followed by a space and your search string, for example "google kysrun". In the same way, you can start searches on IMDB and Wikipedia.
For quick computations, type them in Kysrun and the result will be displayed as you type.
Kysrun created his database the first time it started up. You may want to make Kysrun update his database to add new files, applications or bookmarks. To rebuild the internal database, start Kysrun and type until you get "RebuildKysrunDatabase" and press enter.
You can edit the start of the file proposers.py to change the file types that get indexed. Currently Kysrun index the files with the extensions: xls, ods, doc, mp3, mpg, wma, avi, wmv.
1. Download the Kysrun package.
2. Unpack the Kysrun package in your user directory. The files unpack in the kysrun directory.
3. With the File Manager, open the "kysrun" directory and double-click on "setup-shortcut.py". This will install Kysrun in the menus. It will also configure the keyboard shortcut in IceWM and Compiz. As the Eee PC uses IceWM in the easy desktop mode, this will work out of the box. If you use anoter desktop environment then IceWM or Compiz, configure your system to associate the alt+space shortcut or any other shortcut with the kysrun program.
What's New in This Release:
· Fixate the window size. This also solves the window centering offset bug.
· Make smarter suggestions based on the most recent hits.
· Do not find files in hidden directories.
· Do not follow symlinks to avoid loops.
· Completely new and much faster file indexing code.
· Display the list of most recently started actions on startup.
· Dislay the selected result with details prominently at the top.