Cardapio is a software, a menu that can work in two modes: as a panel applet (in which case it is an alternative to Gnome's application menu applet) or as a stand-alone launcher (in which case it is an alternative to the simplest use-cases of Gnome Do). It features a beautiful gtk-native interface, and includes plugins for performing inline Tracker and Google searches.
In Ubuntu, run the following commands on your terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cardapio-team/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cardapio
In other distributions:
bzr clone lp:cardapio
sudo make install
sudo rm -rf cardapio
Note that Cardapio's Tracker plugin requires Tracker 0.9 or above. To install it on Ubuntu, use the commands below:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tracker-team/tracker-unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tracker
To use as a panel applet, simply add it as usual: Right-click the panel, select
"Add to panel", then choose "Cardapio".
To use as a launcher instead, make sure Cardapio is not used as an applet first, then run:
Once cardapio is running, you can access it using Super+Space. You can change this keybinding through Cardapio's Preferences window.
Cardapio email announcements
To sign up for email announcements, just subscribe to the bug report below.
Bugs and Feature Requests
Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Cardapio v0.9.132 has been released* and it now brings a mouse-based interface for browsing the System menus. This was a commonly asked-for feature, and its design came directly from our discussion in a Launchpad blueprint . How does it work? See the blueprint
· ...or just toggle the new mode-switcher button (labeled "System"), which is present at the bottom of the menu, and see Cardapio become a Gnome Control Center of sorts. Good times!
· *well, the package has been waiting in the queue in Launchpad for the past 17hrs. So hold your horses
The next news-item is that Cardapio users have been hard at work on some of the plugins we suggested in the beginning of July . As a result, we are now (after just two weeks!) shipping *four* new plugins with Cardapio -- courtesy of Pawel Bara. These are:
· Bing plugin
· Yahoo plugin
· Wikipedia plugin
· Youtube plugin
· Great work, Pawel! I should also take this opportunity to thank Clifton Mulkey for writing plugins *even before* we ever made that public call. He's responsible for the Software Center and Virtual Box plugins. You guys are awesome
· Next step
· With the great plugin proliferation, searching with Cardapio may become a bit unwieldy, especially if you have too many plugins turned on. So there's a small usability tweak that will soon be coming to Cardapio, as proposed by user Bert de Bruijn . It is only a small feature, but l think it will be pretty amazing.
· The idea is to assign customizable search prefixes to different plugins. So, for example, you could search for "Gnome" on Wikipedia just by typing "?w gnome". This would cause Cardapio to only show results from the Wikipedia plugin -- possibly showing more results than usual as there would be more UI space to play with.
· In sum, things are shaping up nicely for the big v1.0! So keep those blueprints coming, keep on hacking on Cardapio plugins, and please take a look at some of the outstanding bugs that need some attention .
·  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cardapio/+spec/always-show-administration-and-preferences
·  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cardapio/+spec/plugin-suggestions
·  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cardapio/+spec/letters-to-use-only-specific-search-method
·  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cardapio/+spec/road-to-version-one-point-oh
· PS: As of *right now* the old PPA will no longer be updated. The correct PPA is ppa:cardapio-team/unstable . Please help spread the word about this. I wouldn't want any Cardapio user to be left out of the fun
You can update your PPA either through the Software Sources application (search for it in Cardapio!) or on the terminal with these commands:
· sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tvst-hotmail-cardapio-*
· sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cardapio-team/unstable
· sudo apt-get update