dfm is a filemanager like OS/2 WPS.
"Desktop" stands for the capability to place icons on the root window. The idea to write DFM came from OS/2. For a long time I had worked with OS/2.
Using Linux I miss a desktop that provides easy launching programs, managing files and their association. I think only a program like the WPS can provide this.
Here are some key features of "dfm":
· Normal view, Detail view, Structure view
· Icons may have any size
· placement of icons is free (Normal view)
· every file have its own icon and startcommand
· copy, move and link files
· The desktop is a special folder in the homedirectory - There the user can place links to favourite programs or folders of the system
· every DFM-window have its own backgroundpixmap or color
· XV thumbnails are used as icons
· XDND drag support
· Offix drag support
· You need "The Gimp Toolkit" from the GTK+ homepage. (Version 1.2+)
· You also need the "XPM Library": libXpm.4.7.tar.gz from Sunsite or the The XPM Format and Library homepage. The archive xpm-3.4k.tar.gz (source) contains the library version 4.11 (>4.7) !