Speextalk is a simple, yet powerful voice-over-IP (VoIP) program with a custom protocol using the Speex codec.
The keyword is simple: Speextalk does VoIP, and only VoIP, but the protocol is simple, the code is simple, and the usage is simple for an average Unix user.
Here are some key features of "Speextalk":
· Direct peer to peer two persons discussion.
· Low to very low bandwidth usage (can be less than 1.2ko/s).
· Identification of the callee by its IP address or host name and optionaly port number.
· Network protocol independant code (IPv6 is supported, IPv8 would be).
· Text mode interface.
What's New in This Release:
· Initial ChangeLog creation. Supported features: ALSA sound output, text-mode interface, Speex mono low, wide and ultra-wide band.