Skype application uses P2P (peer-to-peer) technology to provide voice-based communication with other Internet users.
The technology is extremely advanced, but easy to use. It features excellent sound quality, end-to-end encryption, and automatic negotiation of firewalls or routers.
Here are some key features of "Skype":
· Free unlimited worldwide phone calls to other Skype users
· Superior sound quality
· Works with all firewalls, NAT and routers. Nnothing to configure!
· Friends list shows you when your Skype friends are online and ready to talk or chat
· Super-simple and easy to use
· Your calls are encrypted “end-to-end” in order to safeguard your privacy
· Based on cutting edge peer-to-peer technology developed by the creators of Kazaa and Joltid
· 1 Ghz processor or faster
· 256 MB RAM
· 20 MB free disk space on your hard drive
· Microphone and speakers or headset
· Internet connection (broadband is best, GPRS is not supported for voice calls, and results may vary on a satellite connection)
· Video card driver with Xv support
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Feature: When opening account’s links open your logged-in account.
· Feature: Add subscription status and link to the account brief view in the main window.
· Feature: Add a button to enable voice message from the options dialog.
· Feature: When sharing the screen in a multiple monitor setup, share the one where the call window is at the moment.
· Feature: Add Messenger predefined group when logged-in with your MSA account.
· Improvement Create an entry point to hold a conference call from the conversations view.
· Improvement New sizes for the Skype icon.
· Bugfix: Artifacts in the contact list after changing topic or picture in a multichat.
· Bugfix: Searching in the chat window when ‘Ignore poster names’ is set might lead to client crash.
· Bugfix: Skype crashes on attempting to stop sharing selection being in a call on hold.
· Bugfix: Disabling Birthday notification doesn’t work.
· Bugfix: Clicking on certain contact request notifications lead always to the wrong contact request against ‘live’ contact.
· Bugfix: Hide screen sharing window when call paused.
· Bugfix: Link bounding rectangle mismatch in chat when font is smaller than an emoticon present on the same line.
· Bugfix: Double click on a PSTN contact should follow preferred action and not always call.
· Bugfix: Do not pollute the Clipboard with quoted text when quoting a chat message.
· Bugfix: Do not show call on hold for conversations that cannot be put on hold (I.e: echo123).
· Bugfix: Call hold overlay icon goes away giving the idea the call is resumed when is not.
· Bugfix: Show mute indicator at the bottom even when muting from the keyboard shortcut.
· Bugfix: Do not show the login window if autologin plus start Skype minimized are enabled.
· Bugfix: Mark the birthday “read” when seen in the chat.
· Bugfix: Do not allow more than 256-length conversation’s topic.
· Bugfix: Localize all the prices in the Skype WiFi dialogs.