msmtp is an open source SMTP client that can be used with Mutt and other MUAs.
To use msmtp with your MUA, just create a configuration file with your email account(s) and tell MUA to call msmtp.
Here are some key features of "msmtp":
· Authentication methods PLAIN, LOGIN and CRAM-MD5
· TLS encrypted connections
· DSN (Delivery Status Notification) support
· RMQS (Remote Message Queue Starting) support
· PIPELINING support for increased transmission speed
· IPv6 support
· support for multiple accounts
· sendmail compatible interface
· If you want TLS/SSL support, you need either GnuTLS (>=1.2.0) or OpenSSL (>=0.9.6).
· You can optionally use GNU SASL if you need more authentication methods than PLAIN, LOGIN, CRAM-MD5, and EXTERNAL; for example GSSAPI, DIGEST-MD5 or NTLM.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This release includes a new version of the msmtpq script and fixes building the documentation with texinfo version 5.x.