getmail is a secure mail retriever, fast, flexible, reliable and can be used by anyone.
This tool was designed to replace other mail retrievers such as fetchmail.
Here are some key features of "getmail":
· simple to install, configure, and use
· retrieve virtually any mail
support for accessing mailboxes with the following protocols:
· SDPS (Demon UK's extensions to POP3)
· support for single-user and domain mailboxes
· retrieve mail from an unlimited number of mailboxes and servers
· can remember which mail it has already retrieved, and can be set to only download new messages
· support for message filtering, classification, and annotation by external programs like spam filters and anti-virus programs
· support for delivering messages to different destinations based on the message recipient
· native safe and reliable delivery support for maildirs and mboxrd files, in addition to delivery through arbitrary external message delivery agents (MDAs)
· does not destroy information by rewriting mail headers
· does not cause mail loops by doing SMTP injection, and therefore does not require that you run an MTA (like qmail or sendmail) on your host
· written in Python, and therefore easy to extend or customize
· a flexible, extensible architecture so that support for new mail access protocols, message filtering operations, or destination types can be easily added
· cross-platform operation; getmail 4 should work on Unix/Linux, Macintosh, and other platforms. Windows support available under the free Cygwin package.
· winner of various software awards, including DaveCentral's "Best of Linux.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· retrieve Gmail metadata (labels, thread ID, message ID) via IMAP extension and record it in new message headers. Thanks: Krzysztof Warzecha.