Scam-Archiver project copies all mail going through your mail server to a mailbox. This feature is useful for archiving email.
Scam-archiver should only be used if its features is in full compliance with local laws and regulations regarding electronic communication and email.
Please read the INSTALL and README files for more information.
You should have sendmail version 8.12.x or higher installed. Sendmail should have been built with MILTER support enabled.
You should have the milter library and development kit installed
1. Extract the scam-archiver tarball
2. Change the current directory to the one where the scam-archiver source code was extracted.
3. If you are using FreeBSD, OpenBSD or NetBSD, rename the Makefile.bsd file to Makefile
If you are using a Linux distribution, rename the Makefile.linux file to Makefile
4. Type make and press Enter to compile scam-archiver
1. Copy the scam-archiver file created above to the appropriate location (/usr/local/sbin for example)
2. Generate a new sendmail configuration (sendmail.cf) with the following additional settings:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`scam-archiver', `S=unix:/var/spool/scam/scam-archiver.sock, F=T, T=S:240s;R:240s;E:5m')dnl
3. Create a user (scamarchiver for example) which will be used to run the milter
4. Create the /var/spool/scam directory
5. Verify that the user created in step 3 has read-write access to the /var/spool/scam directory
1. Start scam-archiver milter as a daemon scam-archiver -p unix:/var/spool/scam/scam-archiver.sock -u scamarchiver -D
4. Restart sendmail if you have generated a new sendmail configuration when installing scam-archiver
Type the following command to stop scam-archiver kill -USR1 `cat /var/spool/scam/scam-archiver.pid`
The configuration file used is /etc/mail/scam.conf.
The following entry defines the email address where all mail is archived.