Mail Notification is a status icon (aka tray icon) that informs you if you have new mail.
Mail Notification works with system trays implementing the freedesktop.org System Tray Specification, such as the GNOME Panel Notification Area, the Xfce Notification Area and the KDE System Tray.
Here are some key features of "Mail Notification":
· multiple mailbox support
· mbox, MH, Maildir, Sylpheed, POP3, IMAP and Gmail support
· SASL authentication support
· APOP authentication support
· SSL/TLS support
· automatic detection of mailbox format
· immediate notification (the status icon is updated within seconds after a mailbox changes)
· a mail summary
· HIG 2.0 compliance.
· GMime version 2.1.0 or superior (optional)
· OpenSSL version 0.9.5b or superior (optional)
· Cyrus SASL version 2.0 or superior (optional)
· ICU version 2.6 or superior (optional)
In GNOME 2.10, the Mail Notification entry will not show up in the Desktop -> Preferences menu. You can access the preferences from the main window (Applications → Internet → Mail Notification).
When idle mode is in use, some IMAP servers will terminate the connection after a period of inactivity. If the server closes the connection without sending a bye, Mail Notification will not automatically reconnect and will display an error in the status icon. If that happens, you should disable "Use idle mode if possible" in the details of the mailbox properties.
Because of recent changes in the Gmail website coupled with a programming error in the Gmail backend, Mail Notification now crashes when checking a Gmail mailbox. If you need to remove the offending mailbox and cannot access Mail Notification anymore, start gconf-editor and edit the /apps/mail-notification/mailboxes key.
If your FAM or Gamin package uses a fast kernel notifier (imon/inotify/dnotify/kqueue/...), Mail Notification might not correctly detect the unread mails of mbox, MH, Maildir and Sylpheed mailboxes. If you experience problems, you should apply the patch disabling immediate notification for these mailbox types (see above).
What's New in This Release:
· The regression which caused some read IMAP messages to be reported as unread has been fixed.
· And more, see the NEWS file.