WASTE provides a encrypted communication tool that allows for safe chat and transfer.
WASTE is a mesh-based workgroup tool that allows for encrypted, private communication between distant parties on the Internet, independent of local network organization. I
t is RSA secured, and has been heralded as the most secure P2P connection protocol currently in development. WASTE functions as a both a server and a client under *nix, Mac OS X, and Windows, as well as a server only mode under *nix and Windows.
WASTE is a software product and protocol that enables secure distributed communication for small (on the order of 10-50 nodes) trusted groups of users.
WASTE is designed to enable small companies and small teams within larger companies to easily communicate and collaborate in a secure and efficient fashion, independent of physical network topology.
Here are some key features of "WASTE":
· WASTE is currently available for 32-bit Windows operating systems as a client and server, Mac OS X as a limited client and server, and as a limited functionality server for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Windows. Porting to other operating systems should be a breeze, as the source is provided (and the network code itself is pretty portable).
· WASTE is licensed under the GPL.
· WASTE currently provides the following services:
· Instant Messaging (with presence)
· Group Chat
· File browsing/searching
· File transfer (upload and download)
· Network architecture: WASTE uses a distributed architecture that allows for nodes to connect in a partial mesh type network. Nodes on the network can broadcast and route traffic. Nodes that are not publicly accessible or on slow links can choose not to route traffic. This network is built such that all services utilize the network, so firewall issues become moot. more information.
· Security: WASTE uses link-level encryption to secure links, and public keys for authentication. RSA is used for session key exchange and authentication, and the links are encrypted using Blowfish in PCBC mode. The automatic key distribution security model is very primitive at the moment, and may not lend itself well to some social situations. more information.
What's New in This Release:
· A preliminary port of WASTE to wxWidgets.
· Compiled for Linux, and based on WASTE v1.5 beta 3 for Windows.
· Now includes seperate source for the current wxWidgets port (also in development and will be unified in the next version).