TorChat is a peer to peer instant messenger with a completely decentralized design.
The project just runs from an USB drive on any PC. (It can run on Linux and Mac too, in fact it was developed on Linux with cross platform usability in mind from the very first moment on, but the installation on other platforms than Windows is a bit more complicated at the moment)
Tor location hidden services basically means:
· Nobody will be able to find out where you are.
· If they are already observing you and sniff your internet connection they will not be able to find out:
- what you send or receive
- to whom you are sending or receiving from
- where your contacts are located
You will also need python2.5, python-wxgtk2.8 (aka wxPython) and Tor. Download and unzip the archive. Configure a Tor hidden service pointing to localhost port 11009 and start Tor. Edit TorIM.py and change OWN_HOSTNAME to the .onion name of your hidden service. (only the 16 characters without the ".onion"). If you have Tor running on a separate machine, configure the other settings in TorIM.py accordingly. Start torchat.py
What's New in This Release:
· This is the first version that has a working Debian installer and works without configuration out of the box on Linux systems.
· It has support for multiple profiles (identities), and portable mode now is principally possible on Linux too.
· File transfers can be initiated by simply dragging a file into the chat window, some minor bugs have been fixed, and a Polish translation has been added.