PerlMRIM is a simple Perl module, distributed through CPAN, which implements a significant subset of the protocol of firstname.lastname@example.org (aka Mail.Ru Instant Messenger, aka MRIM) as a PERL API. The specifications of this protocol were made available by Mail.Ru, and this implementation is based upon them.
You can get the package on its CPAN page. There is a GUI interface to it, implemented in wxPerl.
Here are some key features of "PerlMRIM":
· Protocol handling (logging in, out, forced disconnect, ...)
· Basic messenging (send and read messages)
· Basic contact list managment (add and remove contacts, deal with authorization)
· Basic user profile displaying, and user search
· Basic status managment (set and display online/away)
· Mail notifications
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· SMS support was added: it's now possible to send SMS for free (to Russian mobiles only).
· Error handling was improved.
· Some undocumented protocol oddities were reverse-engineered.