Naken Chat is a public chat server written in C (originally in Java). Naken Chat project allows multiple people to connect to it and talk simultaneously to each other or in private messages.
The goal of Naken Chat is to be as small and fast as possible using the least amount of your computer's memory with the most amount of features. The current size of the Naken Chat binary on a Linux box is about 38k after being "stripped".
I've fully tested this program on FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, Windows 98 and XP, and MacOSX.
The Naken Chat server can be connected to through many different client programs including telnet, a Java applet, Windows clients, and J2ME Naken Chat Client for mobile phones.
Here are some key features of "Naken Chat":
· Private channels created by anyone (with channel-ops)
· Channel locking to not allow unwanted visitors in
· Channel squelching to make annoying people in your channel shut up
· Gagging to make annoying users not be able to write to you
· Private messages
· User levels
· Idle users can be knocked offline after an idle period
· Channels are now optional
· Username/Password file so only known people can log in
· Beeps for when someone gets a private messages
· Private message highlighting
· Special Channels
· Main: The main channel.. can also be called channel 0
· Hidden caves: if you go to a channel that has a number and the number is between 1000 and 1999, the channel won't be listed when people type .w to see who's online. This feature is no longer compiled in by default.
· Site Banning
· Sysop (special power) functions
· Cross channel yelling so users in one channel can send a message to people in all the channels
· Hushing Yells so a user won't see any messages that were yelled
· If user types too much too fast they are bumped offline
· Internationalization (so Swedish/Norweigan/Hebrew/Arabic/etc. chars work)
· If you type: .w it will give you only that line number or .w would filter for that string
· Chat Logging
· Ability to hide IP's (for security)
· Sysop hiding
· Time stamping
· Many more features I can't remember at this time.
· Java 2 Standard Edition Runtime Environment
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Finally found some time to release the latest version. I've been running it on my site for a month after fixing bugs from the pre-release and it seems to be fine. So the code for 2.20 has changed pretty significantly since 2.12. Code has been cleaned up and there is a plugin interface and a sqlite user database.