Varkon is a very powerful parametric 2D/3D CAD, modeling and application development tool for engineering, design, architecture. It does 2D drafting, 2D and 3D modeling, sculptured surface modeling, and even animations. See our website for details.
VARKON can be used as a traditional CAD-system with drafting, modelling and visualization if you want to but the real power of VARKON is in parametric modelling and CAD applications development. VARKON includes interactive parametric modelling in 2D or 3D but also the unique MBS programming language integrated in the graphical environment.
Here are some key features of "Varkon":
· VARKON is used to develop and run applications. An application is a VARKON system that's been modified and extended with knowledge and functionality specific to a certain product or problem.
· VARKON applications can perform any calculations, retrieve data from external databases, make decisions, perform complex geometrical operations, build object oriented structures with attributes and geometry, generate graphic images like 2D drawings or 3D models with shading or hidden lines removed and create any type of datafiles with output of your own choice.
· VARKON is ideally suited for all types of variational design. Wooden houses, tools for ballbearings, welded steel parts or electrical installations are some of the products currently designed in VARKON using this technique.
· In variational design the actual design work is often reduced to a few percent of the time spent with traditional methods. Using VARKON with its unique ability to handle geometry as well as other features and store the result in a well structured and object oriented manner it is also easy to produce much more information than paper drawings. Cost estimations, bill of materials and different forms of manufacturing data are usually created automatically in VARKON applications.
· VARKON is easy to integrate. A VARKON application can communicate using files or pipes and can spawn other processes as well as being spawned itself. Using this technique you can either let a VARKON application be on top and control other systems or you can use other systems to control VARKON. Varkon also includes an ODBC API for communication with commersial databases.
· VARKON is a powerful geometric modeller. Basic 3D entities are points, lines, arcs, curves, surfaces, coordinate systems and transformations. Several representations of parametric curves are implemented including rational polynomial, analytical offset and curves on surfaces so called UV-curves. Surface representations include rational polynomial, lofted procedural, analytical offset and a faceted surface for approximations.
· Basic support for trimmed surfaces was introduced in Varkon version 1.19. Operations include intersects, closest point, silhouette, curvatures, transformation, trimming, export, import and approximation. Basic visualization as well as complex rendering based on OpenGL is included in all versions of the system.