twibble is a twitter client for Linux, Mac and Windows built on top of the new Adobe AIR platform. You can download twibble below. In the sidebar you find some screenshots of twibble mobile and twibble desktop at flickr.
After installation enter your twitter credentials in the preferences dialog. Ideally you should log out of the twitter web site before logging in with twibble the first time. You can add up to 3 profiles (twitter screen names). When you set a refresh interval in the preferences twibble will attempt to fetch your tweets automatically. Please note twitter currenty allows max. 70 requests per hour per user (not per client). Running several twitter clients in parallel (even on different devices!) can quickly exhaust your limit and you might receive “Bad request” errors.
After you entered a valid profile you can send your tweet in the text box at the bottom. Enter some text and press return. You have 140 characters. twibble allows you to enter longer messages but your message text turns red after the 140 char limit. This way you can enter long URIs which are shortened by twitter.
In the tweet list the message types are displayed in different colors, e.g. red for direct messages you received. All messages (replys, direct messages, and tweets) are shown in a single list. To reply or send a direct message move the mouse over one of the icons.
Switch between your profiles by clicking on a profile tab. The current profile has a blue border. If there are new messages the tab label font turns into italics. There are no other notifications of new tweets since we find it too annoying (In most cases there are always new tweets!).
You will notice some text patterns will be displayed as links when you hover over them. Click on a link to see what happens. twibble support hashtag (cf. www.hashtags.org) and location links in L:some location: notation (Like in “I was in L:Hamburg: yesterday” - don’t forget the second colon!).
To display a geocoded timeline in Google Maps just click on the screen name in a tweet.
To display your timeline in cover flow view klick on the eye icon.
Errors are displayed in the status text. It happens that twitter is overloaded. Try again after a while to see if its working again. To find out the current status of the twitter server you may want to check the twitter blog.
twibble supports the following shortcuts in the tweet view:
↑,↓, ctrl-↑, ctrl-↓, home, end to navigate through your tweets
r to send an @-reply
d to send a direct message.
t to jump to the tweet text field.
In the tweet text area press Escape to return to your tweet list.
To manually reload the current timeline click on your twitter screen name again.
About Adobe AIR
Adobe AIR runtime allows Adobe AIR applications to be deployed on computers and devices running the Linux operating system. In addition, Adobe Flex Builder for Linux can be used to build rich internet applications that deploy to the desktop and run across operating systems using proven web technologies.
Here are some key features of "twibble":
- support for several profiles: twibble desktop allows for several profiles which are presented in a tab view (rather than separate windows)
- integrated timeline: Tweets and direct messages are displayed in a single list sorted by date. tweets, @replies and direct messages are presented in different colors.
- location awareness: you can see with a single click where your friends are in Google Maps. twibble desktop also understands GPS positions sent by twibble mobile
- Cover flow view: In addition to the standard list view you can display your tweets in an iTunes like cover flow view.
- automatic update: You will be notified when a new version is available. You can upgrade with a simple click
- keyboard shortcuts: twibble has keyboard shortcuts for the most important twitter functions. You can flip through the list like in other list based applications.
- On Windows twibble minimizes to the systray