On the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee (FESCo) meeting that took place last evening, December 12th, the developers approved several new features for the Fedora 17 release:
· Simplified filesystem by moving everything to /usr (see here more details);
· Btrfs as the default filesystem;
· Software rendering for GNOME Shell;
· Boost 1.48;
· Thin provisioning;
· Support for D2 programming language;
· Support for Automatic Seat and ConsoleKit removal;
· DRI2 3D drivers;
· KDE Plasma dependency generation;
· PackageKit integration;
· New password quality checking mechanism;
· New virtio-scsi storage architecture for KVM, based on SCSI;
· systemd integration;
· ns-3 discrete-event network simulator.
See here the official release schedule for Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle).