Canonical hasn't abandoned the work for Ubuntu Touch and they're adding new features and changes on a weekly basis.
The Ubuntu Touch developers have announced another set of improvements for Ubuntu Touch and they are on track for an October release, even if this date hasn't been confirmed yet.
Highlights of the latest Ubuntu Touch changes:
• The a11y panel has been dropped;
• The last full charge info is now displayed;
• The panel is now shown only if a battery is available;
• The main page's UI for the security options;
• The location panel's UI has been implemented;
• The UI has been added to match the design.
The work on Ubuntu Touch continues and we hope that next week we’ll get to see even bigger changes. Check the official announcement for more details about this release.