A lot of updates, changes, and improvements have been implemented in this version
The development team behind the MATE desktop environment proudly announces that the stable 1.6 version of the popular project is now available for download and upgrade.MATE 1.6 is a fork of GNOME 2, providing a traditional desktop environment for Linux operating systems and low-end machines.
Highlights of MATE 1.6:
• Support for systemd-logind in mate-session-manager, mate-screensaver and mate-power-manager has been added;
• The places sidebar has been improved;
• Support for new thumbnailers specification has been added;
• Wallpapers are now cached for a better memory management;
• A connect server dialog has been added from Nautilus 3;
• An option has been added to open new windows on the center of the screen;
• New GTK2/3 themes have been implemented.
A complete list of changes and updates can be found in the official announcement.
Download MATE 1.6 right now from Softpedia.