The development team behind the MATE desktop environment proudly announces that the stable 1.6 version of the popular project is now available for download and upgrade.
MATE 1.6 is a fork of GNOME 2, providing a traditional desktop environment for Linux operating systems and low-end machines.
Highlights of MATE 1.6:
• Support for systemd-logind in mate-session-manager, mate-screensaver and mate-power-manager has been added;
• The places sidebar has been improved;
• Support for new thumbnailers specification has been added;
• Wallpapers are now cached for a better memory management;
• A connect server dialog has been added from Nautilus 3;
• An option has been added to open new windows on the center of the screen;
• New GTK2/3 themes have been implemented.
A complete list of changes and updates can be found in the official announcement.
Download MATE 1.6 right now from Softpedia.