This is a library that can be used to provide smoke and similar effects in movies
OpenVDB, a library comprising a hierarchical data structure and a suite of tools for the efficient manipulation of sparse volumetric data discretized on a three-dimensional grid, is now at version 0.99.0.OpenVDB can be used to provide volumetric smoke, fog, or any other kind of similar effect in digital animated movies. What's more interesting about it is that it’s developed by none other than the famous DreamWorks Animation studio.
Highlights of OpenVDB 0.99.0:
• Grid methods that return non-const tree and transform references without triggering deep copies have been added;
• Grid methods to populate a grid's metadata with statistics like the active voxel count, and to retrieve that metadata, have been added;
• Numerical precision issues in the csgUnion, csgIntersection and csgDifference tools have been fixed;
• An issue in vdb_view with the ordering of GL vertex buffer calls has been fixed;
• A bug in the Combine SOP that caused the Operation selection to be lost has been repaired.
A complete list of changes and fixes can be found in the official announcement.
Download OpenVDB 0.99.0 right now from Softpedia.